My diff fell apart

Post any and all car-related pictures here.

Moderators: charlie, CodyW, Rhoad Racing

icantdrift
Salsa Rodeo

My diff fell apart

Post by icantdrift »

in the search for why my diff was sounding even worse than normal i decided to tear it down to check things out. when i was under the car initially i noticed the output shafts had a lot of play in them so i pulled it from the car and dug in. bascially what i'm finding is that the plates have likely worn or the cone springs are worn out, taking the preload off of the plates and letting the side gears move around inside the diff. it still locked up fine just sounded exceptionally loud and would lock/unlock a bunch at light throttle even around large radius turns.

hopefully i can score the new "super q" guts for this thing as a rebuild kit. kaaz claims it's much more quiet, locks just as well, lasts longer, and doesn't require figure 8's in a parking lot for 30 minutes straight :slayer: . i believe it's just some specially treated clutch plates so it should all go in the older housing just fine.
revel
Eet Bacon

Re: My diff fell apart

Post by revel »

damn erin. you so manly. hope you get the parts ya want and it works out. been hearing about how pretty nothing can keep ya down at road atlanta and all ya do is blow past everyone out there. get this diff figured out cause i wanna see this stuff in person....hopefully FOERST person with a wheel in my hands.
andysapp
I need to go outside

Post by andysapp »

Awesome! I'm glad you're getting it sorted out! No figure 8's would be awesome, hahaha!
:D
jsquared
Taco Bar Extraordinaire

Post by jsquared »

You, sir, have bigger eggs than I. I get sweaty just swapping pumpkins, never taken a diff apart like that.
siccccckkkkkkkk
icantdrift
Salsa Rodeo

Post by icantdrift »

jsquared wrote:You, sir, have bigger eggs than I. I get sweaty just swapping pumpkins, never taken a diff apart like that.

after studying the diagram for a couple minutes i realized there was nothing outlandish going on in there and pulled it apart. it's actually pretty simple since everything is the same on both sides.

there's pretty much the housings, a couple of thrust washers to ride against the side gears, cone springs to preload the clutch plates, the clutch plates themselves, side gears, and then the pressure ring (which is what determines 1/1.5/2 way operation). inside the pressure ring is the pinion cross shaft with the 4 spider gears. the only thing to be careful of is if you're re-using the old clutches you want to keep them in the same order they came out in so the wear patterns match up.
kalifornia087
Rock Smoke

Post by kalifornia087 »

Sweet!

P.s. Taco party?
go fast or die
FooSchnickens
Rock Smoke

Post by FooSchnickens »

andysapp wrote:Awesome! I'm glad you're getting it sorted out! No figure 8's would be awesome, hahaha!
:D
Not that you would know anything about the joys of diff testing....

:ninja:
f00tography
In our minds. In our reality. In our world we are QUEEN DUCHESS TEAPOT HABERDASHERY!! RULER OF ALL!! PARTY OF ONE!!!
fooschnicks: totally oawesome
fooschnicks: whatever that means
gregthore: oaseome
gregthore: without me it's just oaweso
gregthore: Eugene has a meagan muff
andysapp
I need to go outside

Post by andysapp »

Hahaha!