State of Arizona destroys GT-T:

General automotive discussion. If you can read and write... this is the place.

Moderators: charlie, darkducati, andysapp, CodyW

Rhoad Racing
Salsa Rodeo

State of Arizona destroys GT-T:

Post by Rhoad Racing »

don't know how true this story is, but either way...it brings a tear to my eye:

http://members.cox.net/pontiacfreak/Skyline_End.htm
djdorifto
Clam Salesman

Post by djdorifto »

it is, i saw this a good while back. I want to know where he got these things legal, if they are even legal. i want a s15!!!
Rhoad Racing
Salsa Rodeo

Post by Rhoad Racing »

it's my understanding that you can legalize Skyline's b/c Motorex purchased a couple of them just to wreck. But by wrecking them, they able to show the government the crash tests and get them approved. However, no one (to my knowledge) has done this for the S15.....therefore it's still illegal to have it on the street.
djdorifto
Clam Salesman

Post by djdorifto »

yup, they need to crash 4 of them to do all the test. Sure you can get 4 S15's for about 50-60k total, but damn lot of time and pactience.
jo
Not Really Past the Hazing

Post by jo »

I have heard that the s15 has been crash tested-- but it failed. That's why we don't have them. There is supposedly a place working on changing them to pass the tests, but we'll see what happens.

A lot of people change out the front bumper beam in the STi to the JDM one to accomodate the JDM foglights-- when you look at the difference between the two, you can see why it doesn't pass the crash test. It's much smaller and thinner, and weighs a hell of a lot less. Not as strong in the impact ratings, I guess. I'm assuming that's what happens with skylines and silvias-- I know motorex has to change the bumper on the skyline, as well as the windshield [to safety glass that meets US standards].

Post by Guest »

Wouldn't that be GTS-T?
speedminded
Fresh Meat

Post by speedminded »

^^^login stupid!^^^
andysapp
I need to go outside

Post by andysapp »

Haha... Jason, you talking to yourself again??
andysapp
I need to go outside

Post by andysapp »

Is it just me... or does this kind of thing solve absolutely nothing!!!

"This is what happens when you have had so many tickets the state is left with no options but to destroy the root of the problem"

Isn't the driver the real cause of the problem... not the car?!?
What's next... crushing the driver?
CodyW
Slippery When Westicles

Post by CodyW »

haha...that would be funny :).
OutDriveU
Ripe Meat

Post by OutDriveU »

Personally I think that story is poppycock.

They have no right to destroy your car for any reason. I think the car is trashed. You look on the FOERST pic and see the 2 big ass dents in the side. It looks like it might have rolled once. If not it still took a good shot or two to the unibody on the right side which can easily spell TOTALED.

I think its all bull but who knows
down_shift
Muscle Milk

Post by down_shift »

Motorex crash tested Skylines with their modifications. They are the only company that can legally sell gray market skylines here.

My guess is that the yellow Skyline was a gray market car that got snuck in through a different importer. That would be the only reason a state would have the grounds to destroy the actual car. Because it does not meet U.S. standards like Motorex's. If a gray market car is caught at the dock they cut the car in half. Too many tickets would lead to insane insurance rates not the car being destroyed. I FOERST saw these pics like three years ago.